Derby Day

Local rivalries have always been the bedrock of football. For many fans, it is almost as satisfying to see their neighbours lose as it is to watch their own team win. But not in the Turkish city of Kayseri, where fans of Superleague sides Kayserispor and Kayseri Erciyesspor have given new meaning to the term ‘United’. Like in many cities across Europe, the two local sides share the same stadium; unlike anywhere else, Kayseri's also share the same support.

'Same tree'

“Both clubs are two branches of the same tree,” explained Erciyesspor coach Mustafa Uður. So much so they even swapped names in 2004 when the team then known as Erciyesspor were promoted, to better represent the city. Last season the new Erciyesspor also went up; for the first time Kayseri had two top-flight teams to support. A potential conflict of supporters' interests was quickly averted. "We talked to Kayserispor honorary president Mehmet ÿzhaseki, who told us one fan organisation would be enough for the city. We held an extraordinary congress and changed our name to Kayserispor and Kayseri Erciyesspor Fan Association,“ the association's vice-president Ali Türkmen told uefa.com. ”Everybody agreed and thanks to that the fans were not divided, because the people who attend the games were more or less the same."

'Yellow-Red-Blue-Black'

Such solidarity represents a first for a country where city rivalries between the likes of Galatasaray SK, Fenerbahçe SK and Beþiktaþ JK are among the most intense in Europe. In Kayseri, however, fans chant, “Yellow-Red-Blue-Black”, the combined colours of the two teams, regardless of which is playing and even during games between the two teams. Kayseri is situated in central Turkey, 300 kilometres south of the capital Ankara. Its teams have long been in the shadow of nearby Mount Erciyes, which at 3,916 metres makes skiing the region's main attraction. For Kayseri's football fans that is beginning to change. Both clubs use an image of the mountain on their badges, and both are taking the city to new heights. Kayserispor are third and pushing for Europe while Erciyesspor are safely in mid-table.

Unheralded success

The pair's unheralded success is largely down to the undivided loyalties of ÿzhaseki and businessmen Kadir Has and Haci Boydak who give personal and financial support to each club. The men responsible for their on-field fortunes are Kayserispor coach Ertuðrul Saðlam and Erciyesspor's Mustafa Uður. Uður is Kayseri-born and played for the former Kayserispor for 15 years before taking over as coach. He more than anyone has put the city on the footballing map having led both clubs to promotion in the past two years. Saðlam, a 37-year-old former Turkish international, took his first coaching job at Samsunspor last season. Despite a limited squad and huge financial difficulties he kept Samsunspor clear of the relegation battle, before joining Kayserispor in the summer.

'Bigger vision'

“After receiving five offers from different clubs, I chose Kayserispor who had a bigger vision,” Saðlam told uefa.com. “They were financially secure and suited my personality. The leading figures in the city were ready to contribute, in addition to a devoted and passionate fan base. Everything was in place.” But how have fortunes been transformed to the point they could earn a first European campaign? "Last season fielded nearly 40 different players. We parted company with 15 players and welcomed ten new ones. We chose players for their personality, professionalism and hunger for success, fame and money."

My coaching dream is winning the league title with an Anatolian sideKayserispor coach Ertuðrul Saðlam

Anatolia dreaming

Half of those signings came from relegated clubs. “We took on a tough task to overcome that disadvantage … but thanks to their professionalism and positive results, self-confidence was quickly restored. Week by week team spirit has grown and we totally deserve to be third.” Now their players, especially league leading goalscorer Gökhan ÿnal, are being targeted by bigger clubs. Saðlam hopes to keep them together long enough to achieve his ambition. “My coaching dream is winning the league title with an Anatolian side,” he said. “Maybe I can do that with Kayserispor. But first I want to write history with Kayserispor by finishing third and guiding the team to Europe. We have an historic opportunity.”

Derby day

For Erciyesspor, safety first is the mantra. “In our first year in the top flight, we want to finish at a respectable position … without facing any danger,” Uður said. He has come a long way to achieving that goal, even defeating his old club in the first top-flight derby between the two sides in August. Another win when they meet again next month could make all the difference. "That match will be a truly different and tough game for me as I had a 15-year playing and four-year coaching career at Kayserispor,“ he told uefa.com. ”The game itself will be an encounter of two friends because both clubs are two branches of the same tree." This season, as fans of both clubs will attest, that tree is bearing fruit.

©